George Hammond in 2005.
|Planet of origin||Earth|
|Death||2008 of a heart attack|
|Information about family|
|Marriage||Mrs. Hammond (deceased of a cancer)|
US Air Force,|
|Out of Stargate universe information|
Don S. Davis,|
Aaron Pearl ("1969")
|First appearance||"Children of the Gods"|
Lieutenant General George Hammond was a US Air Force military and the Commanding Officer of Stargate Command for seven years (as a Major General). He then become the first head of Homeworld Command before coming into retirement. He died of a heart attack in 2008 and a Daedalus-class warship has been named after him in his honor.
Hammond has been married and has two grandchildren, Kayla and Tessa, whose phone number is the "1" button of his office phone above the President of the United States. His wife died of a cancer before he was assigned to Stargate Command (SG1: "Tin Man"). He was living in Texas. Bra'tac refers to him as "Hammond of Texas" (SG1: "The Serpent's Lair").
Hammond has been a US Air Force officer since the mid-1960s. He met Henry Hayes (who was Lieutenant at this time) in these years and the two of them became good friends since (SG1: "Lost City", Part 1). On August 4, 1969, he was a Lieutenant assigned to the Cheyenne Mountain complex. He met SG-1 who came 30 years from the future and read a note he wrote himself 30 years later. In order to avoid court-martial for helping them to escape, Colonel Jack O'Neill shot him with a Zat'nik'tel (SG1: "1969").
Hammond participated in Vietnam War. He saw in Vietnam his best friend shot down. He saw his parachute open, radioed his position but they never found him (SG1: "Revelations"). He served with General Jacob Carter during the Cold War (SG1: "Secrets").
His supposed last assignement was the Stargate Command in replacement of General West after 1995. He was a month away from retirement before the beginning of the Stargate program (SG1: "Children of the Gods", "Within the Serpent's Grasp").
- For an episode-by-episode summary, see George Hammond: Stargate SG-1 Season 1 History.
- For an episode-by-episode summary, see George Hammond: Stargate SG-1 Season 2 History.
- For an episode-by-episode summary, see George Hammond: Stargate SG-1 Season 3 History.
- For an episode-by-episode summary, see George Hammond: Stargate SG-1 Season 4 History.
Stargate SG-1 Season 5 (2001)
- For an episode-by-episode summary, see George Hammond: Stargate SG-1 Season 5 History.
- For an episode-by-episode summary, see George Hammond: Stargate SG-1 Season 6 History.
- For an episode-by-episode summary, see George Hammond: Stargate SG-1 Season 7 History.
Colonel Samantha Carter reveals to Lieutenant Colonel John Sheppard she's leaving Stargate Command to be commander of a new Daedalus-class ship, George Hammond which has been named in honor of General Hammond, who died of a heart attack during this year.
Behind the scenes
- Don S. Davis, Hammond's portrayer, died in 2008 at the age of 65. As an hommage, Stargate Atlantis writers named the last Daedalus-class ship, intially named Phoenix, after him. This 304 is seen in Stargate Universe, commanded by Colonel Samantha Carter.